Saturday 10 December 2011

Christmas lino cuts

There's no better excuse for getting out the lino and the cutters to make something festive for some Christmas cards. But what image to use? I tried a simple tree, but it didn't look right, then I found a 5 pointed star which is kind of chunky and friendly - that'll do. Here it is in various trials with ultramarine ink - such a lovely rich colour!


I masked the star shape on the top two prints with some plastic sheet, cut to shape, and then I embellished three of the prints with yellow felt tip, to add a bit of contrast.....

But somehow these weren't coming alive enough...so another, more complicated, block was born, which made prints like this:


I tried it first with flat colour, but it just looked flat! Here I've used the (I think) Japanese technique of getting the roller to blend two colours. I think it gives depth to the design. I also tried it from blue to red:


It's more sombre, but has a certain rich velvety quality.

Then the combination of blue star below and dual-colour block on top:



Not easy to get the registration right....I'm pleased with the result! I can't seem to get even colour without a press, but the blotchiness adds another dimension - a bit like an old, worn out cushion.

And when I used yellow tissue paper as chine colle, I got this:


I've really enjoyed myself! And I've got some cards to send out as well....

No comments:

Post a Comment